How Do You Get a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Status?

Written by True Tamplin, BSc, CEPF® | Reviewed by Editorial Team

Updated on December 14, 2022

Getting a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Status

The way to get 501(c)(3) status for your nonprofit is to apply for it with the IRS. They have two forms; form 1023 for fairly large organizations, and a shorter form, 1023-EZ, for smaller organizations. The full form charges a $600 filing fee, while the shorter charges $275.

How Do You Get a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Status FAQs

What is a 501(c)(3) organization?

A 501(c)(3) organization is a non-profit organization with tax exempt status that is dedicated to the general well-being of society.

How Do You Get a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Status?

To apply for 501(c)(3) status you must fill out form 1023 for the IRS. The form is available on the IRS website, but may only be filed electronically. There is a $600 filing fee.

Is a 501(c)(3) organization tax exempt?

A 501(c)(3) organization is tax exempt so long as it remains true to its stated mission and remains compliant with the IRS.

What does 501(c)(3) mean?

501(c)(3) is the internal revenue code (IRC) section for organizations with tax exempt status. 501(c)(3) falls under internal revenue code 501(c).

About the Author

True Tamplin, BSc, CEPF®

True Tamplin is a published author, public speaker, CEO of UpDigital, and founder of Finance Strategists.

True is a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF®), author of The Handy Financial Ratios Guide, a member of the Society for Advancing Business Editing and Writing, contributes to his financial education site, Finance Strategists, and has spoken to various financial communities such as the CFA Institute, as well as university students like his Alma mater, Biola University, where he received a bachelor of science in business and data analytics.

To learn more about True, visit his personal website, view his author profile on Amazon, or check out his speaker profile on the CFA Institute website.

Find Advisor Near You